Liverpool told £39M payment would complete signing in key area of Jurgen Klopp's squad
All the transfer talk surrounding Liverpool has been centered around the need to sign a new defensive midfielder.
While the pursuit of Fluminense champion Andre Trindade may be over, the Reds have received great news on the centre-back front.
The Anfield outfit is doing their homework on signing a replacement for Joel Matip, whose contract expires on 30 June 2024. With the Cameroonian set to leave the club at the end of the season, a number of central defenders have been linked.
Perhaps the most heavily linked is Goncalo Inacio, with the Portugal international viewed as one for the future while also having the quality needed to join the club and immediately hit the ground running.
What's the latest on Goncalo Inacio to Liverpool?
While previous claims suggested that Sporting increased his release clause from £39 million to £52 million, a report from Portugal has provided fresh clarity on the matter.
However, Sporting Lisobon are happy to accept 75% of that (£39m) as an upfront payment with the remaining 25% (£13m) to be paid down the line as performance-related bonuses.
It's interesting for one reason. £13 million is the exact amount that Inacio's release clause increased by when he signed his new deal, allowing Sporting to entice clubs in with what appears to be a great deal. Extending the young defender's contract will allow the Portuguese club to increase their profit on his sale.