Sources: Man United called club to be told target agreed terms with Liverpool

Sources close to Anfield Central have been told that when Manchester United made contact with RB Leipzig, they were told that Ibrahima Konate had already agreed on personal terms with Liverpool.

Liverpool signed Konate from Bundesliga outfit RB Leipzig for a total cost of £54.2million as they are paying him £18.2million over the five years of his contract after making him their number one priority earlier this season.

The French defender had a £36million release clause and with Jürgen Klopp looking to bolster his defensive options, Konate was named as the man to take his side forward.

Konate missed 393 days of football since October 2019 but clearly, the club feels as though this isn’t a reason to worry.

LEIPZIG, GERMANY – APRIL 17: Georginio Rutter of TSG Hoffenheim in action with Ibrahima Konate of RB Leipzig during the Bundesliga match between RB Leipzig and TSG Hoffenheim at Red Bull Arena on April 17, 2021 in Leipzig, Germany. (Photo by Boris Streubel/Bundesliga/Bundesliga Collection via Getty Images)

Ever since reaching a verbal agreement with the defender before personal terms were agreed, it was straightforward to complete his move to Anfield.

His presence in the side is an exciting prospect and it’s even sweeter when you consider that Liverpool embarrassed Manchester United by beating them to Konate, with sources close to Anfield Central reporting that the Red Devils were told the Frenchman had already committed himself to Liverpool when they came knocking.

It’s a repeat of the Virgil van Dijk saga when United called Southampton only to be told that he was on Merseyside completing a medical ahead of a £75m move to Liverpool where he has since won both the Champions League and Premier League.

MADRID, SPAIN – JUNE 01: Virgil van Dijk of Liverpool lifts the Champions League Trophy after winning the UEFA Champions League Final between Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool at Estadio Wanda Metropolitano on June 01, 2019 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Matthias Hangst/Getty Images)

Konate is one of the most exciting defenders in the world but he will face competition from Joe Gomez for a starting role. For Liverpool supporters, this is great news after the lack of options this season.

Van Dijk and Gomez are expected to return to action next season while van Dijk is on his way back already, with the Dutchman aiming to return in time for the EUROs.

Michael Mongie
Football Central Media Group founder, owner and editor.

LATEST ARTICLES

Club president confirms Anfield Central exclusive as deal to sign attacking midfielder is completed

Liverpool have completed a deal to sign Fatawu Issahaku from Steadfast FC, the club's president has confirmed after Anfield Central exclusively reported on the...

Liverpool negotiations over £60million centre-forward complicated by manager departure

Gennaro Gattuso has left Fiorentina less than a month after being appointed and Liverpool are in talks with their star striker, Dusan Vlahovic. Anfield Central...

Liverpool will submit offer to sign €40m ace that has ‘his heart set on’ Anfield switch

Florian Plettenberg, who broke the news that Liverpool are working hard to sign Florian Neuhaus, now reports that the Reds are expected to submit...

Fabrizio Romano reveals LFC’s transfer priority amid reports of negotiations for £31.5m star

Speaking on the Here We Go podcast, Fabrizio Romano claims that Liverpool are working on outgoings but that their priority is to sign an...

Opinion: Michael Edwards must make classy £27million maestro Jordan Henderson’s heir

Liverpool are planning to replace Georginio Wijnaldum this summer but if they're considering long-term Jordan Henderson successors, Kalvin Phillips should be the first name...