Liverpool have reportedly told Franck Kessie not to sign a new contract with AC Milan so that he can move to Anfield for free next summer.
To recap, Sport Witness cited Italian journalist Claudio Ramondi on Thursday as saying that Liverpool are the latest side to attempt to sign AC Milan’s no.79.
The Reds are reportedly in touch with his agent George Atangana and have ‘shown’ they can pay the midfielder as much as €8million per season.
Apparently, this is not enough to take him from the San Siro as the Italians are working on renewing his contract and he still has one more year on his deal and is worth around €59million, according to Transfermarkt.
However, Corriere dello Sport now reportedly says that Liverpool have urged Kessie to reject a new contract from AC Milan and wait until next summer to get a move to Anfield when he will be able to join them for free.
While I said last week that Liverpool don’t need Kessie because he’s a defensive midfielder, I have been corrected.
The Ivorian is capable of playing both as a no.6 and as a no.8 so signing him would give Jurgen Klopp a very interesting midfield setup next summer but that still doesn’t replace Georginio Wijnaldum now.
The Dutchman has joined PSG and has left a major hole in the squad which needs to be filled and while it would be great to see Kessie join next summer, it doesn’t help the squad now.
Hopefully, with the Reds outgoing picking up, Liverpool will soon be able to accelerate their incomings.