Borussia Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc told ARD that an agreement exists between the club and Jadon Sancho that will allow him to leave this summer.
Fabrizio Romano, reporting on his Twitter account, relayed the information from Zorc’s interview with German television channel ARD.
He said: “We already had a gentlemen’s agreement with Jadon Sancho since last year that he can leave the club under certain conditions.
“However, this agreement does not exist with Erling Haaland.”
Dortmund will sell Sancho this summer if their asking price for the winger is met, with the Bundesliga side valuing him at €100million, according to Bild. That’s a huge sum of money even for a player as talented as Sancho.
This agreement has been in place since last summer, as per Zorc. Manchester United were widely reported to be in talks with Dortmund but couldn’t agree on a fee which saw talks halted.
Liverpool transfer plans need to be realistic
With the pandemic placing huge strain on Liverpool’s financials, the Reds will need to scale back any plans they might have had to sign expensive players. A £46million loss recorded by the club means that major plays in the transfer market will be few and far between.
Unless Michael Edwards can work his magic and get Dortmund to agree to the bulk of his fee being paid out over a period of a few years, signing a player like Sancho seems unlikely due to the costs involved.
Manchester United, who historically have larger funds available, pulled out a deal last summer and with the worst of the financial impact of COVID-19 yet to be revealed by Liverpool and other European clubs, it seems as though there will be very few major transfers in the summer.
The in-house options available to Jurgen Klopp
The German manager might need to give Sadio Mane, Roberto Firmino and Diogo Jota the chance to prove that they are all he needs to win silverware.
Liverpool’s credentials as title challengers were damaged by the loss of Virgil van Dijk to injury as well as a host of other injuries.
𝗕𝗶𝗴 𝗩𝗶𝗿𝗴 🤩
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 29, 2021
There’s a case to be made for a weakened defence having a knock-on effect on the rest of the squad which may have contributed in part to the decreased attacking output on show at Anfield this season.
That said, Mohamed Salah has once again hit 20 goals in the Premier League which tells us that Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino’s regression has little to do with the injuries to other players.
Whatever Klopp decides to do this summer, it’s safe to assume he’ll do his absolute best to get the Reds back to a position where they can challenge for silverware.