President says injury ruled out summer move for €40m star – a January move could be on the cards for LFC – view

Liverpool were heavily linked with a move to sign Renato Sanches and one report even named Anfield as the most likely destination for the Portuguese star.

And then he suffered a meniscal injury and scuppered his chances of leaving Lille as has now been confirmed by his club president.

Speaking to La Voix du Nord, president Olivier Letang said: “It’s an open secret. Renato could have left, he had an exit certificate.

“We had almost reached an agreement with a very big club but his knee injury changed the plans. Now, we are happy to have Renato still with us and we hope he comes back (from injury as soon as possible).”

STRASBOURG, FRANCE - OCTOBER 04: Renato Sanches of Lille in action during the Ligue 1 match between RC Strasbourg and Lille OSC at Stade de la Meinau on October 4, 2020 in Strasbourg, France. (Photo by Marcio Machado/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images)

While domestic sources vehemently denied any suggestions that Liverpool were interested in Sanches, sources in Frances, Spain and Portugal heavily linked the Reds with a move for the midfielder until he suffered his knee injury.

I do wonder if Liverpool were the big club that Letang has alluded to because it was well known that the club was waiting to offload Xherdan Shaqiri to make space for a non-homegrown signing.

That said, I do wonder if there could be the opportunity to make a move to sign the Portuguese midfielder in January although as evidenced by his latest injury setback, his injury record is not great and given the trouble Liverpool have had with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita, the club would likely have concerns over signing a player with such extensive injury issues.

METZ, FRANCE - APRIL 09: John Boye of Metz (R) battles for the ball with Renato Sanches of Lille (L) during the Ligue 1 match between FC Metz and Lille OSC at Stade Saint-Symphorien on April 9, 2021 in Metz, France. (Photo by Marcio Machado/Getty Images)

Mundo Deportivo claimed that Anfield was his most likely destination before his injury and that he would cost around €40million and if a move materialises further down the line, at least it will likely happen at a more affordable price point due to his injury and the more advanced stage of his contract.

His contract expires in 2023 and now that the summer is over another option would be to wait a full two seasons for his contract to expire but given that he already wants to leave, he is unlikely to be willing to wait that long.

Michael Mongie
Football Central Media Group founder, owner and editor.

LATEST ARTICLES

Liverpool fans are witnessing something special as Klopp works magic with Reds

We're witnessing something special this season and not just with Mo Salah but the Liverpool team as a whole. I'll be the first to admit...

One major blow, one major boost – Double injury update as Liverpool travel to face Atletico Madrid tonight

Liverpool face Atletico Madrid this evening and have received one boost and one injury blow as Jurgen Klopp plots his team to face Atletico...

Liverpool reportedly ‘ready to seize opportunity’ and sign €115,000/week midfielder for €0

Liverpool are reportedly ‘ready to seize opportunity’ and sign Marcelo Brozovic from Inter Milan as his contract nears its expiry and would be required...

Sporting director Michael Edwards could be set to stay at Liverpool in contract U-Turn – opinion

After Liverpool beat Watford 5-0 in the Premier League, Jurgen Klopp was asked to comment on Michael Edwards' contract situation and I believe his...

Liverpool ready to sanction ‘significant’ fee to land €75m beast – contact already made over signing him

Liverpool are once again linked with Serbian Fiorentina striker Dusan Vlahovic after reportedly making contact to sign him last week. Tuttosport were the first to...